Session Chair Guidelines
Thank you for chairing the 10th Oceanic Conference on International Studies 2023 session.
Please check the program published on the website to re-confirm the day, time, and room of your session. http://ocis.org.au/program/
Below are some tips to assist you. Most importantly, please ensure you start and finish the presentations on time and keep to the order in the program.
If you have any queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the conference or visit the registration desk during the event.
BEFORE THE SESSION
· Presentation titles and speaker names are available on the conference website.
· Review the presentation titles and presenters for your session prior to the conference.
· A printed copy of presenter names and presentation titles will be provided in the rooms for session chairs. Please use this information to introduce the speakers.
· Check the program for the timing of each presentation in your session.
· Please go to your session room at least 15 minutes prior to the start time to meet the presenters, and to familiarise yourself with the room.
· The conference is using a mix of theatres and smaller teaching spaces. Note some of the smaller rooms are not equipped with microphones.
· Computer terminals will be unlocked at the beginning of each day. If the computer terminal is locked, please contact the registration desk.
· Presenters have been asked to upload their presentation slides prior to the conference.
· Support will load presentations onto the presentation computer in each room prior to the start of the conference.
· If a presenter arrives with a USB to load slides, please direct them to the presentation computer in the room.
· Presenters will be asked to sit in the front of the room, so they can move to the lectern quickly at the end of the previous presentation.
· Advise the speakers to keep to time and explain you will ask them to end their presentation if they run over time.
· Advise presenters that you will be signalling the time and ringing the bell when they must stop.
· There will be a space reserved for the session chair at the front of each room with timecards (5 minutes, 2 minutes, 1 minute), and a bell for signalling the end of each presentation.
· You will be advised of any housekeeping items or program updates by the registration staff or committee. Please announce these at the beginning of the session.
· In larger rooms there will be a Q&A microphone. Ask a member of the audience or volunteers to be a microphone ‘runner’, if required.
· Should urgent AV assistance be required please contact 0466 562 024
· An AV support person will be roaming between the session rooms to troubleshoot any technical issues should they arise.
DURING THE SESSION
· Begin the session on time and ask that all electronic devices are turned to silent.
· Where available, use the lectern microphone to introduce the presenters and at the end of the presentation for questions.
· Please use your phone to keep to time. Your phone is more accurate than having individual clocks.
· Introduce yourself, inform people of your position/where you work, and any involvement with the conference.
· Announce any housekeeping items.
· Encourage delegates in the room to download the app. Attendees can use the Q&A feature to ask questions.
· Introduce each presentation with the title, presenter name/s and affiliation/s.
· If a presentation is withdrawn, a presenter does not arrive, or a presentation finishes early do not bring the next presentation forward, use the time for questions or explain to the audience that you will commence the next presentation as per the timing on the program. Delegates will be planning to come to presentations based on the published session times. Please continue to communicate the situation to delegates as required / regularly.
· Ensure each session starts and finishes on time. The length of each presentation is listed in the program.
QUESTION & ANSWER
· For individual paper and panel sessions, Q&A will be at the end of the last presentation as a group Q&A.
· If time allows, ask the audience for questions, and be prepared to ask a question if no questions are forthcoming.
· Do not ask any questions if the session time has run out.
· Remind delegates questions can be asked using the Q&A feature of the app.
· Refer to the app Q&A feed for questions. Where available use a microphone and read out questions to the presenter/s for their response.
· If a delegate wishes to ask a question verbally, please direct them to use a microphone, where available.
· Ensure presenters use a microphone (if available) when responding to questions.
· At the conclusion of the session, thank the presenters.
ACCESSING Q&A IN THE APP
1. Download and log into the conference app (the app will be available approximately two weeks prior to the conference).
2. Open the app and select ‘AGENDA.’
3. Select your session in the agenda.
4. Select Live Q&A.
5. Questions will appear in a list under the question box